Ohio Homeschool Law – OH Homeschooling Laws
Understanding Your Rights
Knowing the requirements for homeschooling in Ohiois one key to successful homeschooling. That is why we have provided you with specific information on homeschooling in Ohio and helpful links to OH’s Department of Education, homeschool requirements, Ohio homeschool laws, and legal support resources.
Also, did you know that having an accredited homeschool partner means total support and protection for you? Find out how an accredited homeschool program can give you peace of mind on your homeschool journey. Need more support? Call us to discuss our accredited homeschool programs at 800-863-1474 or request your free Homeschool Information Pack here.
Links for Ohio Homeschool Laws
We will update our records on a yearly basis, but if any new legislation goes into effect for your state, it should be listed here.
Ohio Homeschool Summary
If you are homeschooling in the state of Ohio, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Provide an annual notification to homeschool to the local superintendent which shall include:
- School year for which notification is made
- Name and address of the parent, and full name and birthdate of child
- Name and address of person(s) who will be teaching the child, if other than the parent
- Assurance that the homeschool will include the required subjects
- A brief outline of intended curriculum and list of textbooks or other basic teaching materials
- Assurance of hours and qualifications
2. Send one of the three items listed below to your school district:
- Standardized testing
- A written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child’s work has been reviewed and that the child’s academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child’s abilities. (If a written narrative is prepared, it must be written by either (a) a licensed or certified teacher, excluding the certification of teachers in nontax-supported school
- An alternative assessment mutually agreed upon by the parents and the superintendent
Get more info about Ohio homeschooling in our FREE information packet.
Homeschool Resources for Ohio Homeschool Laws
For additional information, including a downloadable PDF with a detailed analysis of your state’s homeschool laws and legal counsel, be sure to become a member of the HSLDA for a yearly fee.