NH Homeschooling Laws
Homeschoooling Laws in New Hampshire
Knowing the requirements for homeschooling in New Hampshire is one key to successful homeschooling. That is why we have provided you with specific information on homeschooling in New Hampshire and helpful links to NH’s Department of Education, homeschool requirements, New Hampshire homeschool laws, and legal support resources.
Did you know that having an accredited homeschool partner means total support and protection? Find out how an accredited homeschool program can give you the peace of mind you’re looking for on your homeschool journey.
Links for New Hampshire Homeschool Laws
New Hampshire State Homeschool Law Summary
If you are homeschooling in the state of New Hampshire, you should follow these steps:
- Submit a letter of intent to homeschool to your local district superintendent within 5 days of commencing your homeschool program. This letter should include a list of the names, addresses, and birthdates of all children who are participating in the home education program.
- Keep a portfolio of your student’s work. The portfolio shall consist of a log which designates by title the reading materials used, and also samples of writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the child. This portfolio should be kept on hand for two years.
- Annually evaluate your student at the end of the year. This can be done in any of the following ways:
- Have a certified teacher or a teacher currently teaching in a nonpublic school evaluate the child’s educational progress based on the portfolio and discussion with the parent or child.
- Take any national student achievement test, administered by a person who meets the qualifications established by the provider or publisher of the test.
- Take a state student assessment test used by the resident district.
Homeschool Resources for New Hampshire Homeschool Laws
For additional information, including a downloadable PDF with a detailed analysis of your state’s homeschool laws and legal counsel, be sure to become a member of the HSLDA for a yearly fee.