LA Homeschooling Laws
Homeschoooling Laws in Louisiana
Knowing the requirements for homeschooling in Louisiana is one key to successful homeschooling. That is why we have provided you with specific information on homeschooling in Louisiana and helpful links to LA’s Department of Education, homeschool requirements, Louisiana homeschool laws, and legal support resources.
Did you know that having an accredited homeschool partner means total support and protection? Find out how an accredited homeschool program can give you the peace of mind you’re looking for on your homeschool journey.
Links for Louisiana Homeschool Laws
Louisiana State Homeschool Law Summary
If you are homeschooling in the state of Louisiana, you will need to follow these steps:
- Apply to the Board of Education for approval of your home study program within fifteen days after commencement of the program. The initial application must include a certified copy of your child’s birth certificate. A renewal application must be submitted by October 1 of the school year or within twelve months after initial approval, whichever is later.
- Provide evidence of immunization for meningococcal disease to the State Board of Education unless you have a waiver for religious, medical, or personal reasons.
- Submit a packet of materials to obtain your yearly renewal. This must include a complete outline of each subject taught, a list of books and materials used, copies of the student’s work, copies of standardized tests, and statements of third parties who have observed the child’s progress;
- OR, a passing score on the Louisiana’s competency-based education examination given to their child;
- OR a score by the child at or above his or her grade level on the Achievement Test or on another standardized test;
- OR a teacher certified to teach at the child’s grade level writes a statement that he has examined the program being offered and that in his professional opinion the child “is being taught in accordance with a sustained curriculum of quality at least equal to that offered by public schools at the same grade level”.
Homeschool Resources for Louisiana Homeschool Laws