As homeschoolers, we’re already wired for “alternative education.” We know that our school journey will look different than most, with more flexibility and an individual approach that ensures our children get just what they need. That’s why blended learning is such a great fit for homeschoolers. It takes the best of traditional learning and “blends” it with the power of the internet and online learning, all without removing the flexibility you need. Still not sure if it’s right for your family? Here are the top 5 benefits of blended learning, and a great case for why it should be in your homeschooling repertoire!
Top 5 Benefits of Blended Learning:
- Blended learning allows your homeschooler to experience online learning in a way that makes sense to them. When it comes to online learning, a student who is used to traditional textbooks, along with a teacher who is right next to their shoulder, may find it difficult to adapt. That’s why blended learning is so great. One of the best benefits of blended learning is that your homeschooler will be introduced to online homeschooling in a way that eases them into it. In many cases, they’ll still use a textbook and have a teacher to work with, but some of the learning will be done in an online classroom. It’s a great way to dip your toes into online learning without jumping into the deep water!
- Blended learning speaks to several learning styles. If your homeschooler is a visual or auditory learner, you’ll reap many benefits of blended learning! Videos, live classes, and visuals on the internet (think maps, graphic organizers, images, etc.) will keep your visual learner engaged while discussions, conversations, and other auditory components will speak right to your auditory learner. The best-blended learning classes will also include a textbook, printed material, or additional hands-on projects that will help tactile learners reinforce online lessons.
- Blended learning is flexible! In an online class, your students won’t have to give up the flexible schedule they need. If you’re out and about, you can log into class and then complete coursework in the evenings. If you want a live online class during the day so you can work with another student, you can. Blended learning allows you to keep in control of your schedule and get the classes and credits you need to satisfy homeschool requirements and mastery of subjects. And, if you’re not ready to tackle calculus or anatomy, you can rely on the expert teachers in an online class to teach for you!
- Blended learning is fun and engaging. Let’s face it, we’ve all heard “this is boring” from our homeschoolers, and it makes us cringe! We want our learners to be engaged and love learning. This won’t always be the case. As homeschool parents, we have the unique opportunity and ability to vary the format of the less interesting or less liked subjects. If textbook science isn’t working anymore, a blended learning biology class could be just what you need to remind your student how much fun science really is. Just because they are learning online doesn’t mean your homeschooler won’t be engaged and having fun. Rather, the best-blended learning classes combine project-based learning with visual and auditory class time. With classes like “Science through the Magic Treehouse Series” and “Coding: Intro to Gaming,” your learners will have more fun than they’ve ever had while you get a break!
- Blended learning is inexpensive! While a co-op class or college course can cost upwards of $400 or more, blended learning classes are relatively cheap. This means you get the credits you need without shelling out money you don’t have.
What other benefits do you see for Blended Learning? Tell us below!
Are you ready to reap the benefits of blended learning for yourself? Check out Bridgeway’s Online and Blended learning programs. Just want one or two live online classes to change up your homeschool routine?