Every year, thousands of homeschooling families gather together at homeschool conventions to find the best curriculum and resources, and listen to other professional education specialists. Many of those families come from Texas. In fact, according to research, Texas is one of the top three states with the most homeschoolers in America! With over 145,000 students homeschooling, and conventions dedicated to homeschoolers, and families researching homeschooling, it’s no wonder that it’s growing in popularity throughout the state. So, what is so appealing? Check out these top reasons for — and benefits of — homeschooling in Texas.
Reasons for — and benefits of — homeschooling in Texas
- Homeschooled students test higher on SATs. According to the National Home Education Research Institute, homeschooling students score an average of 120 points more on the SAT exams than non-homeschooled students.
- Parents have the freedom to teach according to their child’s pace and learning style. Does your child get frustrated with a given subject in school? Or are they bored? Teaching at home means you can tailor their curriculum to their learning style, helping the content stick and make sense in real-life situations. And it makes learning more fun! You can help your child learn the content at their own pace, helping your child to not just memorize statistics for a test, but building their confidence as they understand what they are learning. Learn more about teaching to your child’s learning style here!
- More school and relationship building opportunities Students in school are limited to the opportunities available under time constraints in school, and they mostly interact with peers of the same age. Homeschooling gives your student the freedom to spend time on their passions without the restrictions of the school schedule. And you can encourage relationships with people of all ages, giving them a more diverse view of life.
- Less worry about school peers and safety. Being fully-involved in your child’s education means that you get to know your child’s peers and can create a safe environment for them to build relationships.
- Graduation success! In the state of Texas, homeschooled graduates are considered the equivalent of graduates of any other schools in Texas. That means colleges and universities within the state view homeschooled students on the same level, and give them the same opportunities as their public school peers.
Ready to start homeschooling in Texas?
Because of the homeschool growth in Texas, it’s easy to get started! Here’s how:
- The curriculum must be real and visual, like workbooks and charts.
- You must use written curriculum for core subjects. Check out our Texas State Law Page to learn more.
Homeschooling is not just a trend — it’s a lifestyle that more and more people are choosing for their families as they see amazing results in their children. And with Bridgeway Academy, making the decision to homeschool has never been easier. We have been helping families with homeschooling in Texas for over 26 years and would love to work with you. Contact one of our homeschool specialists at 800-863-1474 to see how an expert, accredited partner can make your homeschooling dreams come true.