Walk around any homeschool convention and you’ll hear a lot of opinions about curriculum, strategies, and options. But there’s one topic that is often the most controversial and makes many seasoned homeschooling parents run for the hills: math. Choosing a homeschool math curriculum can feel like running a marathon in high heels, just plain painful. If math is a four letter word in your home, you’re not alone because, when it comes to tackling math, many homeschoolers and parents struggle. But, homeschool math haters can breathe a collective sigh of relief because we have a formula for finding the best homeschool math curriculum for your child that will add up to your success!
Learning Style + Teaching Style = Success!
Step 1: Know Your Child’s Learning Style
The best place to start in finding the best homeschool math curriculum for your child is to discover your child’s learning style. We all learn differently, but chances are your child has a preferred learning style. Choosing math curriculum based upon your child’s learning style means they will learn in the way they need to master the concepts and feel successful. And, because math skills build upon one another, it’s important that you choose a math curriculum that suits your child so they don’t have gaps in their math understanding. Don’t know how your child learns best? Find out here!
Step 2: Consider Your Teaching Style
Just because a math curriculum matches your child’s learning style doesn’t mean it’s going to work for you! Once you know how your child learns best, you need to consider how you want to teach. Are you a hands-on teacher or do you want your child to be self-directed? Do you like textbooks or work-texts? Do you want to teach math individually to your kids or concurrently? It’s just as important to find a homeschool math curriculum that suits your goals as a teacher as it is to match your child’s learning style.
Step 3: Find the Match
So you’ve figured out just how your child learns best and the type of curriculum that fits your family’s educational and teaching style. Now what? Well, here’s where it gets fun! It’s time to start weeding through the thousands of options to find the perfect fit for you. Wait, that’s more like torture! Instead of spending hours and hours reviewing homeschool math curriculum, consider starting with these popular choices based upon steps 1 and 2!
The Best Homeschool Math Curriculum
- ACE- This Christian homeschool math curriculum is great for self-directed learners who learn best visually and need a lot of repetition. The integration of comics and Bible verses keep students engaged. Grades K-12
- Aleks Math– This math program is best for visual learners who love to learn online and need immediate feedback. Grades K-12
- Bridgeway Math- Have a high school student who just wants the basics or needs a refresher course? This remediation course was written specifically for homeschoolers to study independently. Grades 7-12
- Life of Fred- Book worms will love taking journeys with Fred as he encounters math in the real world. This reader-based curriculum is fast-paced, has very little repetition and can be completed in a group setting. Grades K-12
- Math U See– Your kinesthetic learner will love this manipulative-based program. This curriculum is best for parents that want to be very involved in teaching math and for students that benefit from a spiral method. Grades K-12
- Saxon- This traditional and beloved math curriculum is best for auditory learners and parents who need an easy to teach curriculum. Each year builds upon previous learning with the same exercises and directions making it easy for older learners to work independently. Grades K-12
- Singapore Math- Best known for being a challenging math program, Singapore is great for visual and auditory learners who want a challenge. The goal of this homeschool math curriculum is to provide a solid foundation of mental math. Grades K-12
- Teaching Textbooks– This curriculum was created specifically for homeschool families and allows students to work independently with a work-text and CD-ROM. Grades 3-12
What homeschool math curriculum does your family use? Is it working? Tell us in a comment below! If you have more questions or would like help finding a curriculum perfectly tailored to your child, call us at 800-863-1474.