When it comes to technology in the homeschool, I have to confess I am not always a fan. As a homeschooling mother of two boys, establishing a perfect balance with between computer use, misuse and abuse has at times seemed to be a thorn in my flesh. Coming from my background in public education as both a teacher and administrator, I saw far too often the teaching of computer skills in isolation from meaningful content or used simply to drill test-taking skills.
However, I understand my children are part of a digital age where incredible software applications rest in the palm of their hands, so when an opportunity to use computer technology to enhance their learning is a natural fit to our homeschool program, I choose to embrace it. Live online courses are a terrific homeschool option because they present students with a purpose for integrating technology into content area studies while providing real world models for learning.
Bridgeway Academy’s course offerings are broad. Think “Kitchen Chemistry” and “Architecture with Brick Building” for the youngest students, “Solar System” and “Creative Writing” for the middle schoolers, and “Myths & Legends” and “Web Design” for those high school age, just to give a sampling. Online learning became a great vehicle for my children to dive deeply into subjects I would hesitant to approach on my own.
Five reasons I love Student Learning Labs at Bridgeway Academy:
- EXPERT TEACHING: What do I know about robotics or high school chemistry? (If you guessed almost nothing, you’re right!). Online learning became a great vehicle for my children to dive deeply into subjects I would hesitate to approach on my own, even with my teaching background.
- INDEPENDENT LEARNING: My boys have learned the value of time management and what it means to be accountable to someone other than their mother. Priceless!
- INTEGRATION OF REAL WORLD SKILLS: Far beyond just word processing – presentations, projects and work within the virtual classroom help them become better public speakers, mesh technology and their own creativity, and learn the same skills required by businesses in terms of working in a collaborative, virtual environment.
- VALIDATION: It is good for both my children and me to have evidence of success that extends beyond the walls of my home. Bridgeway Academy is accredited and the teachers are certified, so success in a learning lab builds confidence in them and provides assurance our homeschool is accomplishing its goals.
- TIME: (Dare I say it?) While they are enjoying attending class, I have a moment to grab a cup of coffee (or two) and fold some laundry and correct some of their papers.
Want to know more about Bridgeway Academy’s live classes for students in grades one through twelve? I would encourage you to participate in our upcoming Student Learning Lab webinar where you can meet our teaching staff and get a quick overview of the courses we offer.
This live event will be held Thursday, November 6th at 10:00 am Eastern Time. Just for attending, you will get a special bonus savings code towards the purchase of any one or more of our Student Learning Labs. This event is open to everyone, so feel free share this invitation with your homeschooling community.