Without a doubt, my favorite summer holiday is Independence Day. With several of my family members serving in the Armed Forces, July 4th is near and dear to my heart. And it’s important that my July 4th celebrations reflect that. There are so many options to celebrate Independence Day, and most towns have their own activities. However, figuring out what to do can be a lot of work, especially at the last minute. Here are my favorite recipes, crafts, and activities for celebrating Independence day!
Independence Day Recipes
No July 4th celebration is complete without good food! From burgers to hot dogs, watermelons, and chips — a good picnic will have it all. But what recipes should you use? Here are some of my favorites!
- USA Flag Fruit Kabob plate Enlist your kids to help put the fruit on the kabobs and design a beautiful and patriotic flag that everyone will enjoy! All you need are some strawberries, blueberries, bananas — and voila!
- Patriotic Trail Mix It’s not only easy to make, but it can be put out as a picnic appetizer for your family and friends to enjoy while the grill-master is cooking up the cheeseburgers and grilled veggies.
- July 4th Rice Crispy treats These are a fool-proof addition to your dessert table that both kids and adults will love and that make celebrating Independence Day sweet!
Independence Day crafts
- When preparing for your July 4th celebration, it’s always a good idea to include some fun and easy crafts! If you’re having a party that will continue on late into the evening so that you can watch the fireworks, make these cute and easy 4th of July lantern jars to light the way!
- You could also set up a fun photo booth for your guests to take pictures in front of for their Facebooks or scrapbooks! All you need are some patriotic fabric strips, white paint, a potato, and a stick!
- Finally, be environmentally friendly by using your old glass bottles to create these fun centerpieces! Paint American flags on them, use glitter to make them sparkly, and put some mini American flags in the center!
Independence Day activities
- The best July 4th celebrations always have some sort of fun game or activity! Depending upon the state that you live in, go out and buy some fun and safe outdoor fireworks to use after nightfall! Similarly, most stores have poppers and sparklers that kids can also safely use with adult supervision.
- Another fun activity fit for the whole family is Fourth of July trivia! How much do you know about our history? Here are some fun American flag facts to incorporate into your trivia questions!
- Get everyone working off those hot dogs with a fun, family game of Capture the American Flag! Instead of your typical white flag, have each team use a small and hideable American Flag! This can be played both in daylight and at nighttime before the fireworks!
As you begin celebrating Independence Day, don’t forget to remember what makes this day so special and worth honoring. Play the national anthem and thank members of your family for their service; we wouldn’t be here today without them! If you decide to make any of these recipes, crafts, or activities, snap a picture and tag Bridgeway Academy in your Facebook or Twitter post!