Understanding Your Rights
Knowing your state’s homeschooling requirements is one key to successful homeschooling. But each state is different. That’s why we’ve provided you with your specific state information and helpful links to your state’s department of education, homeschool requirements, and legal support resources.
Also, did you know that having an accredited homeschool partner means total support and protection for you? Find out how an accredited homeschool program can give you peace of mind on your homeschool journey. Need more support? Call us to discuss our accredited homeschool programs at 800-863-1474 or request your free Homeschool Information Pack here.
Links for Alabama Homeschool Laws
We will update our records on a yearly basis, but if any new legislation goes into effect for your state, it should be listed here.
Alabama Homeschool Summary
Homeschoolers in the state of Alabama fall under Option 2, Instruction as a Private School, on the HSLDA State Law document form. If you are homeschooling in the state of Alabama under Option 2, you will need to follow the steps below:
- Register with your local district as your own private school. As a private school, you must register with the state by October 10th and be prepared to keep documentation of the number of pupils enrolled, number of instructors, attendance records, course of study, length of term, cost of tuition, etc.
- Submit forms. By the end of the 5th day of the public school calendar, you need to submit forms prescribed by the State Superintendent of Education to the county superintendent of education. Contact your local school district or superintendent’s office to obtain copies of these forms.
- Take attendance. All unexcused absences must be reported, so make sure you have your documentation ready to submit.
- Make copies of immunization records. These are required pieces of documentation except in the case of stated religious or medical exemptions.
- Record of Physical Education for each student enrolled in a private school. Be sure to maintain documentation of these hours throughout the year. Bridgeway Academy’s Physical Education/Activity log is a great resource to help you keep track of this requirement.
Helpful Resources For Alabama Homeschool Laws
*You will need to enter your First and Last Name, Email address and State of residence to access these documents.